Sunday, January 25, 2009

Jaclyn - My Hero


The last 10 days have been a whirlwind for my niece, my Godchild, my Hero - Jaclyn. On 01/15/09 she was diagnosed with neuroendocrine cervical cancer. The next 2 days involved CT and MRI scans in Sioux Falls (SF) and then by the grace of God, her sister Katie was able to setup 2nd opinion appointments at the Mayo Clinic in AZ on 01/20. But first, on 01/19 Jaclyn had a PET scan in SF and then the Guthmiller family and my twin sister, Coleen (Jaclyn's mom) all boarded a plane to AZ. The next few days were a blur for Jaclyn and Judd. Judd took notes and Katie was medical interpreter. Jaclyn unfortunately was the patient. Jaclyn started chemo Friday 01/23 and Saturday 01/24. Sunday was a day of rest and on Monday 01/26 she goes in for her radiation prep work. They all head back to SF on Monday afternoon. Life as they once knew it is now different. Follow Jaclyn's story at http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jaclynguthmiller
Jaclyn is a very strong woman and just amazing. She has a very nice family with the 2 most adorable little boys. Her husband is a fun person albiet a dry sense of humor but he is her 'rock' and will do whatever he has to help her through this. He was a devoted husband before this came to be so what he has done for her in the last 2 weeks is no surprise.
Katie and Josh (Jaclyn's sister and husband) have opened their home to the whole crew and with their 2 young boys they have given Jaclyn a chance at treatment that most people wouldn't get.
My sister Coleen and my other sister Jan that lives nearby in Cave Creek have been the designated nannies for the week. Wow, 4 boys under the ages of 2.5 years old. I bet that was one busy house every day! From all accounts everything was under control. I guess Jakob is enjoying wearing shorts (opposed to jeans and winter coats) and asked Aunt Katie if he could wear shorts again. What a bonding time for those 4 little boys.
Here is the Christmas picture the Guthmiller's sent out this year. I just love it. A picture of health and love.

Please pray for Jaclyn and her family as they go through this horrible journey. May God bless them with good health. I love you Jaclyn - you're my hero!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful tribute, Tini. Very well written and full of love. You are amazing too!
Toni